Rapid Immigration

USCIS application procedures: Business Visa (B-1)

You can apply at your designated US embassy or consulate abroad

U.S. Immigration Information In your own language

USCIS application procedures: Business Visa (B-1)
Business Visa (B-1)

(Short Stay in the USA)

A B-1 visa can be extended for up to six months, but most B-1 admissions are approved for a period not exceeding 3 months.

If an applicant is granted a B-1 Business Visa, this does not mean that he or she can work in the United States for a US employer even on a short term contract. Any commercial activity conducted in the US must be performed on behalf of and paid for by a foreign employer.

Who Can Apply?
  • Your work must be for a foreign employer and you must be paid by your employer abroad. (certain exceptions may apply)
  • You are engaging in business-related (international commerce or trade) activities only for a temporary period of time not exceeding one year. After six months, you may apply for an extension of stay, generally for another six months.
  • You are an employee of a non US based company and you are coming to the US to conduct business, do a market research, take part in an exhibition or attend a business conference. (not exceeding 9 days).
  • You are an employee of a foreign branch of a US company abroad and you are visiting the US headquarters for business purposes.
  • You are coming to the US on a prospective travel to set up a business venture.
  • You are a speaker/lecturer and are coming to the US to make a presentation with no renumeration from a US entity.
  • You are participating in a voluntary service program for a recognized non-profit charity organization.
  • If you are exempt as a citizen of a country under the Visa Waiver program, you may stay for up to 90 days without a visa.
How do I Apply?
    You can apply at your designated US embassy or consulate abroad.

  • You will go to the U.S. consulate abroad and fill out optional form "DS156". You may be required to interview with the consulate. You will have to prove sufficient financial resources to support your stay. This financial resources must be coming from a source related to your business activities. You will submit a letter from your employer or specific organization attesting to the business activities or the purpose of your trip in the US. You will also submit a valid passport, photographs and other documents proving your intent to return to your home country. This proof may include your real estate statements or letters from your employer. If you are accompanied by relatives, a separate visa application will need to be completed by them as well.

  • If approved, you will receive your B-1 Business Visa. A Visitor Tourist Visa may be granted at the same time (stamped B-1/B-2 on your passport). However if you hold a B-2 Tourist Visa, you can not engage in business activities while in the US. You may be granted multiple entries for usually a period of 10 years. If denied, you may have to provide additional evidence. If this is not the case, there is no formal appeal process for this type of visa but you can reapply.

What do I do Now?
Quick Links

   Green Card Application
   Citizenship Application
   Passport Application

Application Guides

United States Immigration guides are available in hard copy format or as instant downloads (PDF files). There are over 100 different American immigration guides in English, Spanish and Chinese. American Immigration guides cover includes applications for U.S. Visas, Green Cards, Citizenship and Passport.

What makes our United States Immigration guides so helpful?

They are extensively documented, researched, and come complete with everything you will need to apply.

Find Out More    


   About US Visas and US Citizenship
   Coming to the US
   Immigration Info
   US History